Here's the pizza right before it goes in the oven...
Did you know... that in 1889, the Pizza Margherita was named in honor of the Queen consort of Italy, Margherita of Savoy, and that the tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, and basil represent the colors of the Italian flag? Find out more on wiki...
- 1 Healthy Pizza Dough
- 1 1/4 cup Homemade Pizza and Pasta Sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 medium vine ripened tomato (thinly sliced)
- 1 small yellow bell pepper (thinly sliced) (optional)
- garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste
- a few basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Sprinkle cornmeal on a large pizza pan (or cookie sheet). Transfer the Healthy Pizza Dough to pizza pan. Press down gently on the dough until it reaches the edges of your pan. The dough should be about half an inch thick.
- Spread Homemade Pizza and Pasta Sauce on the dough. Top with mozzarella cheese, then sliced tomatoes and bell pepper. Sprinkle with garlic powder and salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake in preheated oven for 12-15 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh basil leaves. Drizzle with olive oil before serving.